[rescue] VAXstation 3100

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Apr 28 02:24:38 CDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:36:28 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What's the deal on the mouse?
Proprietary interface and protocol.
(The interface is basicly RS232. Maybe with TTL level instead of +-12V.)
Obviously you don't need the mouse for text only stuf. But if you want
DECwindows...

> >  Can substitutes be used?
http://www.kbdbabel.org/
(The VAXstations use the same LK201 keyboard as the VT[234]20
terminals.) Should not be that hard to build somthing similar for the
mouse.

> I don't know, but I do know that the dual-rotor DEC hockey puck mice
> work much better than ball mice.  I wonder why that mechanism didn't
> take the market over?
One word: Patented.

BTW: I successfully use the PS/2 keyboard to Sun Type 4/5 converter
from kbdbabel.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen