[rescue] Earth Day Rescue, StoragEdge and RAID

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Sun Apr 26 19:57:19 CDT 2009

Here's the items and count from the Earth Day Rescue:

25 501-3136 128MB SIMMS

10 501-4743 256MB SIMMS

2x Symbios SYM22802 cards (Differential SCSI  Cards)

3x 501-5019 Ethernet  cards (twisted pair)

12x 501-5539 450 Mhz Processors (U60, E420R, E220R )

I also have 2 490-1278 SIMMS and two 501-5524 fiber network cards from
some other recent rescues.

It won't be til this weekend that I have a chance to open up the 220R
and 420R to see how much more RAM they can take,
but I believe only the 220 has any free slots.    I was debating about
using some of the Ethernet cards...( i.e. if i zone one of the boxes,
so each zone has it's own physical ethernet).  So, I'll have the
majority of this stuff all available....

I'm interested in interesting trades, and of course $$ 8-).

I found out that all the drives got pulled as well.  So I'll be in at
least "spud" heaven... like 8 4100's worth, plus all the ones from the
220 and 420's.
Not sure about the drives yet... but I may.  They aren't big drives,
but I know folks were looking for ones earlier... so  let me know...

RE:

> Earl, that's interesting, but I don't think the A1000 is deep enough
> for
> a SATA adapter. I could be wrong, obviously, since I haven't tried it,
> but the A1000s don't have that much room behind the drive's "rear end"
> and where the stock adapter ends.
>
>   Or would you need to use smaller drives, somehow lashed down to the
> spud bracket?

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps the drives are small enough now that
either the laptop or other drives might work.  I've simply not tried
to see if one
would fit... a lot of it of course would depend on the adapter... so
that's the question.  What adapters have people used?  I know that
folks were talking about them
for the Voyagers... but I've not heard anything since my post...

>   Also, would the SCSI get saturated beferw the drives max out?

Well I suspect that might be the case.. but if I can find the adapters
cheap enough, I'm not going for the screaming fast SATA drives...
cheap and big.
I've got a 8 channel LSI hardware RAID card that drives my current
main storage (with 7 500GB drives...).   But the box it's in is pretty
much stuffed,
from a physical standpoint.  The StoragEdge would fit more
physically....   Just have to look at the cost tradeoffs... the
current RAID set up is nice...
level 5, and the hardware has the battery backed up SIMM... it's nice
to have a friend very high up at LSI 8-).  But to go bigger, I have to
somehow find
a case that would hold a decent PC board, and have room for 8 or more
drives.  The chassis I've found simply aren't set up for that.  The
LSI card can
also connect to slave cards where you can add other "shelves" of some
sort.  I've not found anything in that arena that isn't ridiculously
expensive.
8 channels with 1.5 TB drives would definitely be a nice huge storage
pool 8-).   7 500's provides a nice 3 TB as it stands... and it's been
rock solid since
I have had it.  If it had drives for Mac OS, I'd build a frankenmac
with the card...

Earl