[rescue] Netra 240 - Backup rsync server?

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Thu Apr 16 10:01:28 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Mark Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I did something similar with dreadful results. (YMMV)
>>>
>>> I was using an Ultra-2 with mirrored 36gb disks as my web/mail server
>>> for my domain.  Needing additional storage, I procured a NexStar USB
>>> enclosure, and wired up a Linksys NSLU2 device with Linux firmware in
>>> order to serve NFS.  I had /home nfs mounted on the Ultra-2 from the
>>> NSLU2.  Worked great for about 2 years. (slow like crazy, but it was
>>> only /home for email and basic storage). Then things went terribly
>>>
> wrong...
>
>> I'd have just hung a 711 off the U2.
>>

> Or a multi-pack, that lets you add 6 or 12 SCSI drives to the server...
>
> Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and if Mark already had the NSLU2, his
> solution might have made more sense (at the time).

This was something I used in the basement at home.   I would have used a
multipack, but what I was trying to do was to hang some fat, quiet,
inexpensive,low heat, low power consumption disks on a host.

While it worked, it was pretty good. 2 disk enclosures and the slug
consumed a total of 21 watts.  A 6 or 12 multipack would have had
considerably higher consumption, and produced much more heat.

These days, I have (mostly) retired the U2, but I am using mirrored
SATA's (ZFS) on my OpenSolaris x86 box.

/M