[rescue] Netra 240 - Backup rsync server?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Apr 11 09:47:48 CDT 2009

Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> I find myself with a Netra 240 - anyone's opinion on wether it'd make a
> decent backup server for rsyncing to, or putting sparse images on for
> TimeMachine?  Can the SPARCs take a bog-standard PCI 1394/FireWire card &
> use that for additional dasd?
> Brooke

It actually sounds like a wonderful system for that purpose, provided
you have enough storage space.

Even a much less powerful v100 with a 500Mhz USII (not the much more
powerful USIIIi you have) can do 40Mbps rsync-over-SSH - and you have
probably 4x the processor speed plus gigabit ethernet.

I suspect Time-Machine would do well on that also.

USB 2.0 is supported since Solaris10 - see the scsa2usb man page. I have
 even used ZFS on external USB, however that system was USB 1.1 and
performance was atrocious (however everything did in fact work).

For firewire, I suggest looking here:

http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/1394/IEEE13940.html

They don't have much of a list of "supported" though my guess would be
that most controllers using the same chipset would work.

Please summarize back to the list if you do anything with this.

Cordially

Patrick