[rescue] AS/400 newbie questions

Scott M scott.mickey.sunhelp at atsgate.com
Fri Apr 3 16:39:44 CDT 2009

Patschke wrote:

> Try QSECOFR or QSYSOPR for the username with either the same thing
> as the password ...

Thanks Jonathan!   This got me pointed in the right direction.
I was eventually able to login, view the installed software, the user
accounts, and perform a normal shutdown.  Here are a few details for
anyone who is interested:

I tried user/pass = QSECOFR/QSECOFR, but my console terminal locked
(turned dim).  I suppose too many wrong guesses previously, so I got
locked out.  So, on the front panel I selected 03 = "start IPL", and
the machine rebooted.  I guess this is like hitting the reset button
on a PC.  This time at the initial screen, rather than selecting
option 1 = "Perform an IPL", I selected option 3 = "Use Dedicated
Service Tools (DST)".  In DST, was able to reset passwords to factory
defaults and then after an IPL, user/pass = QSECOFR/QSECOFR worked.

The machine does have HTTP server software and an ethernet card, so
maybe I'll try to get it to serve up a web page or two.  Nothing else
looks familiar to me right now.   I don't know what version of the OS
it's running.  I'll have to figure than out next.  I'm heading over
to amazon.com now and see if there are some good AS/400 sysadmin books
available.  Certainly nothing even remotely UNIX-like about this OS,
so I've got some reading to do.  Thanks again for the help!

Scott M