[rescue] Machine valuation; Was SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:49:26 CDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:25 PM, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Brian Roth wrote:
>> Ahhh! Cray. Been looking a long time for one of those.  Missed out
>> on a  Y-MP
>> EL years ago from my own stuborness and have regretted it ever since.
>> Yes, the 3800 is sweet. I have a 16 proc O2K as well and I am
>> actually trying
>> to aquire a total of 8 racks with a Meta Router. I see O3K's all
>> over the
>> place but the O2K's are getting broken into pieces for sale on Ebay.
>
> Hey;
>
> So this brings up a question I have pondered over the years, as I've
> picked up new gems for the basement (or brother-in-law's garage, in
> this
> case, woe as me) - I'd like to know what the original value was.
>
> For example, in particular I'm thinking of my Sun E10000, 64GB RAM,
> 64x
> 466mHz processors. I've seen suggestions that have ranged from $5m
> to $10m
> for this single machine, had it been bought from the factory floor as
> configured back in '99/'00 when it was new. I have absolutely no
> clue how
> realistic those figures are - for all I know they're from people who
> are
> very wishful in their thinking.
>
> How would you folks go about determining what something like this
> cost?

You say value in the subject, but you mention cost here - they are not
interchangeable, the value of an E10000 these days is scrap value +
eBay of nametags from chassis, the cost was approaching the values you
mentioned.

Lionel

(don't mean to come off bitter, I plan on "dumping" a large number of
systems at TCF this month, I'll start at $20/tested system, then after
two hours, $10/system, then $5/system. This includes SGI octanes and
Indigo's, along with dual P3 Xeon servers and some desktops, as well
as some Sun Ultra 1, 2, 5, 10 and maybe an ultra 30 or 60 as well...

Boxes gotta go!