[rescue] SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Wed Apr 1 12:52:42 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:30:35AM -0700, Brian Roth wrote:
> The manual has the NUMA cabling defined for different sized systems. Using Craylink and expresslinks and I bet the HIPPI was used between the Meta Routers.
>
> http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/download.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&docnumber=007-4192-001

HIPPI was a lot slower though, 800Mbit in it's first revision, compared
with 800MB for NUMAlink2.

I'm pretty sure there were different part numbers for different length
cables and there were restrictions on what device could use what cable.
The XIO/Crosstown links used the same cables, but were a different system.

I found a pdf[0] on Ian Mapelson's excellent site describing the system in
question. There were qty (48) 128p machines connected with 12 HIPPI ports per
machine, connected via a 3-dimensional toroidal interconnect using 36
HiPPI-800 16 port switches. It appears that they upgraded to HIPPI-6400
in 1999. It does not appear that HIPPI was used to connect the meta
routers, which would be required for 128p machines. Some sort of
standard job control system was used to distribute jobs among the
48 different machines, it appears to be a cluster of really big
computers using HIPPI as the cluster interconnect, not as part of the
NUMAlink on the SGIs.

[0]http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/origin/ASCI_fly.pdf

Jody