[rescue] SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:18:17 CDT 2009

HIPPI was the world's first gigabit networking system.  Friends of mine
worked with SGI to develop it, got an R&D 100 award out of the deal etc.
Major breakthrough at the time (late 1990s I guess, before my time there).
When I came on, I was mostly handling software and OS stuff so I didn't have
my hands inside the machines too often.  I do remember seeing the thick
cables though and having to work around them.  One "router rack" with 4
O2000 racks on each side with the heavy HIPPI cable interconnects.  So 9
racks total per row, times 48 rows deep.   LOTS of cable.

Later we experimented with the Origin 3200 line, testing R bricks (routers
for the ccNUMA interconnects) vs Myranet and such.   Good times.

-Bob