[rescue] [geeks] SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 1 11:51:35 CDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 11:08 , Bill Bradford wrote:

> It's not an April Fools joke, and in case you haven't heard:
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/2009/04/01/sgi-sold-to-rackable-systems-
> for-25m/

That's just sad, sold to what is mostly a vertical OEM.

I wonder what implications this has for SGI patents and other IP?

I know at one point a huge portion of the computer industry depends on
SGI technology, patents, and various agreements.  Is that all gone or
still an issue?

Microsoft and Apple both depend heavily on not just SGI tech, but
agreements on licensing and patent issues, and of course do companies
like nVidia so if any of that is still relevant, Rackable just got
control/responsibility for it I would assume.

I can't imagine Rackable being interested in those sorts of things and
it doesn't seem like they would have the capability to defend,
organize or develop it either.

Interesting that the press releases didn't discuss any of that.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com