[rescue] Machine valuation; Was SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Wed Apr 1 11:25:10 CDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Brian Roth wrote:
> Ahhh! Cray. Been looking a long time for one of those.  Missed out on a  Y-MP
> EL years ago from my own stuborness and have regretted it ever since.
> Yes, the 3800 is sweet. I have a 16 proc O2K as well and I am actually trying
> to aquire a total of 8 racks with a Meta Router. I see O3K's all over the
> place but the O2K's are getting broken into pieces for sale on Ebay.

Hey;

So this brings up a question I have pondered over the years, as I've
picked up new gems for the basement (or brother-in-law's garage, in this
case, woe as me) - I'd like to know what the original value was.

For example, in particular I'm thinking of my Sun E10000, 64GB RAM, 64x
466mHz processors. I've seen suggestions that have ranged from $5m to $10m
for this single machine, had it been bought from the factory floor as
configured back in '99/'00 when it was new. I have absolutely no clue how
realistic those figures are - for all I know they're from people who are
very wishful in their thinking.

How would you folks go about determining what something like this cost?

Cheers;

 - JP