[rescue] SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Wed Apr 1 10:44:44 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:31:31AM -0400, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:
>
> > Where I used to work we had 1 SGI box that was ~$3 million.
> >

> I don't think they make Origin 2000s like that anymore, though, right?

No, but the Altix 4700 is the same basic architecture and uses the 4th
generation of NUMAlink (Origin 2000 used 2nd generation)

> One thing that comes to mind. If any of us win the $120MM Powerball it is a
> $60MM cash annuity. After 30-40% taxes that's enough to buy SGI and have
> enough left over for who knows what...

SGI still has some worth, they just signed a 40 million contract with
DOD. I'm not familiar with their financials, but they reoganized a
couple of years ago, so I'd presume they are relatively light on debt.
I imagine Rackable got a great deal here.

Jody