[rescue] SunFire V100

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:30:02 CDT 2008

I second that.  Get as many as you can.  I can sure use a few if you want to
offer them up for sale or trade.  They're great little machines for things
like file servers, license servers, shell boxes for IRC, whatever.  Not the
peppiest boxes out there but they work great and have a CDROM drive so
they're relatively easy to load with Solaris (no need to do it over the
network).   Memory is some type of PC memory that is easily found.  Make
sure you get disk sleds though, and offer to do the labor to remove them if
they don't want to part with the disks.  Without them, you're left using
with duct tape if you don't want your disks sliding around in the case.  I
broke a brand new 120GB disk on day 1 because of that.

I have one at home runnnig Samba and SunRay Server software for two SunRay
1's.  Because they are 1U, it fits very nicely between the feet of my TV
stand on the floor and they're fast enough to drive at least 2 SunRay
systems while two people are surfing the net.

-Bob