[rescue] needed: u1 NVRAM chip

Brian Deloria bdeloria at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 13:15:56 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM, der Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org>wrote:

> Oh, but they are.  They're spending money on Bill. :)

However when they begin to complain about a task / project not being
completed on time due to the fact that you had to spend half a day hunting
down a particular part they're not always so understanding.

Whenever something like this breaks I ususally ask these questions:

Why is this a priority to fix when it wasn't a priority to replace /
valuable enough to put on a service contract?
What is going to be done to prevent this from happening again?
So having X number of workers at Y dollars an hour costs Z dollars per hour
that this is offline, is some how less than the replacement equipment /
service contract?
Do you understand that because I have to drop everything and fix this now
something else won't get done?

The times that they do see the light I often wonder whether it was due to
reason or simply growing tired of my words.

> >> Yes.  When stuff like this happens, I usually end up waving the
> >> magic wand again, getting it working, and then telling them "You
> >> need to move this function to a newer machine, otherwise the next
> >> time this happens I'm not going to touch it."
>
> So, what you're saying here is that it would be a favour to you for us
> to _not_ come up with a suitable NVRAM? :-)
>
> > IT people are not hardware warehouses to be plundered at need.  And I
> > see it being detrimental in MOST cases.
>
> Heh.  I've largely stopped volunteering my own hardware for work uses,
> for very much this reason (though I still do occasionally, mostly in
> cases where I think there's no real chance work will end up wanting to
> hang onto it).

Whenver I bring in anything from home I do get paid for it, they see the
value in that.  In addition to that I can get rid of something spare that I
nolonger want / need or have too many of.