[rescue] Re-Install OS - Netra X1

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Thu Sep 11 21:26:51 CDT 2008

Rescued a new (old) toy from the office.  Netra X1.

I got lucky.  It was jumpered @ 400MHz, but was actually a 500 MHz chip.
I bumped the memory up to 512Meg using some spares around here...

Ideally I'd like to use this system to run Asterisk around the house,
and would like to install the latest and greatest Solaris 10.

...but anyone that has seen an X1 knows thats a bit of a pill. (lack of
SCSI, PCI Slots, DVD Drive etc)

You could:

1. Jumpstart it, providing you have another Solaris box..
2. Open the lid, and a temporary DVD drive.

My question is, can I USB boot from an external DVD drive?

I figure I can't, but if anyone knows or has better experience that
could save me un-racking this thing, or firing up another system - that
would be swell!

Thanks!

/M