[rescue] Drives for T1s/V100s

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Sep 5 12:41:14 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:33:18PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Joshua Boyd
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:20:26PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> I'm just asking, but what about a USB DVD drive?
> >
> > That would be unbelieably slow for OS installs.  If I wanted an external
> > drive, I could hunt down a SCSI DVD drive, which would be a much better
> > speed.
>
> And at least twice as much money.  Or at least that was my experience when
> I bought an _internal_ SCSI DVD drive to go in my E450.
>
> I know the laptop drives do work in those systems but I can't recall what
> the name of the connecting kit is for them at the moment.  You need the
> little back-board and the ribbon cable to do it.

After mentioned SCSI DVD-ROMs, I went and looked.  It looks like about
$20-35 on ebay for the SCSI DVD ROM (to put in a case I already own) versus
$35-50 similar amount for a IDE laptop DVDROM (looking only for BINs,
not on what I could win an auction for in either case) or $50 for a
laptop IDE DVD-RW from newegg.

I think the SCSI DVD-ROM might be the best choice after all.