[rescue] Question on upgrading Solaris 10 3/05 to latest

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Oct 28 22:04:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:16:18PM -0400, D.A. Muran-de Assereto wrote:
> <rant> They have really broken the patch QA lately, especially for the
> Opteron/x86 systems. I've installed at least two on testbed systems that
> needed to be immediately backed out because they broke the system badly.
> This has happened both times because smpatch will merrily tell you about
> patches that require contract patched in order to work right, and will
> then install the dependent patches without the required contract patch.
> </rant>

This.  My Via C7-based box here at home that does rsnapshot backups of my
colo boxes and a couple other systems, is in a "grey" state right now.  It
boots, will reboot, and works - but patching is all fuct up due to certain
patchsets not paying attention to dependencies.

I'm going to export the zfs pool, nuke the OS install from orbit, and
reinstall with the latest S10 release in the next month or so.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas