[rescue] Question on upgrading Solaris 10 3/05 to latest

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:55:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM, John Lengeling
<John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
> I have a Solaris 10 3/05 media set that I used to load on a V100.   If I
> install all of the recommended patches for Solaris 10, would my system
> be effectively upgraded to the latest Solaris 10 release?     I wanted
> to have all of the latest Solaris goodies to play with like
> zfs/ldoms/etc.

LDOM requires at least a T1 processor. V100 is an ultrasparc IIi (2
and letter i) and cant do ldom. It'll do zones, but you can only have
2GB max on a v100, so dont go overboard with hundreds of them :)

As for ZFS, wait a few more days for Solaris 10 U6 and update to that.
Assuming you are set up for liveupgrade (LU), it should be not too bad
(lu from U3 to u6, then UFS to ZFS). If not, blow the whole thing away
and install directly as ZFS ROOT. If you have a pair of IDE disks in
your V100, then install as ZFS mirrored root. Personally, unless I
have no other choice (ie. I have no control over the situation), I
always do a clean install. Takes less time than an upgrade.

Francois