[rescue] LaserJet 4 glitch

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:29:35 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>wrote:

> My trusty Laserjet 4M Plus (now something like 14 years old) has
> developed a minor but annoying problem.  Every time it first warms up
> from power-saving mode to begin a print job, it is convinced that it has
> a paper jam.  99 times out of 100, it's imagining it.  Simply opening
> and closing the top cover without touching anything else clears the
> problem, and it goes on to print without further ado.  Nevertheless,
> it's annoying.
>
> Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, and know the cure?
>

> --
>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
>         Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

The problem, from my experience is a worn, failing part.

if it gives an error code, the code will give the problem and the hp printer
book will give the fix.
this should be online now (i worked with these 7 years ago and couldn't find
it online then).
a toner cartridge refiller business should also be able to tell you.

if your hp has a metal frame, it is worth replacing the part.

it's like my car.  if i drive it on the interstate for 100 miles the "check
engine light" comes on.  no codes given; it turns off before i can get it to
the dealler---oops, wrong discussion  :)