[rescue] xD cards vs. Compact Flash

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Oct 21 15:25:08 CDT 2008

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Does anyone have cast-off xD Picture Cards or a favorite place to buy
> them?
>
>    I have a digital camera that's pretty ancient by current standards,
> an Olympus C-5050 Zoom from 2002. ("How old is it?" It's so old that
> they couldn't decide which format would win so it takes both Compact
> Flash *and* xD cards!) Now, I have been using CF cards since that's what
> I happened to have around when I was given the camera this year, but
> they seem to take a long time to write out the image. Are CF cards
> really slower than xD? Or should I just keep using the CF cards I've
> got?

What kind of CF cards are they?  You might want to consider some of the
faster ones.  I know it made a noticeable difference to me using Lexar
Professional* flash instead of the cheap stuff in my now-older Canon
digital camera.

    -Dan Sikorski

* I'm sure other brands are comparable, but I have preferred Lexar for
several years because i had a very good experience with their support staff