[rescue] CDROM for a ultra2

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Thu Oct 16 01:01:14 CDT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 9:25 PM, Chris Blamer wrote:

> Looking for a cdrom that will work with a Sun Ultra2. For some
> reason after
> ejecting the cd from Java Desktop, it will no longer stay closed.
> Even when
> sitting at the ok prompt it keeps opening everytime i close it from
> the
> button. Also looking for a second hard drive for this machine.

This is a common failure mode for all tray-loading Toshiba CD-ROM
drives. There is a white nylon pinion pressure fit to the drive
spindle of the motor which ejects and loads the tray. The pinion
splits radially with age, rendering it incapable of holding the torque
necessary to lift the laser assembly to the disc when loading the
tray. The drive (correctly) interprets this as an error condition and
unloads the tray.

I've corrected this exact problem on many Toshiba drives with
judicious application of cyanoacrylate crazy glue along the split. The
more careful you are, the less noise the tray will make when you are
finished. Some amount of increased noise is normal.

ok
bear