[rescue] Legality of what to do with CD's after ripping

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Sun Oct 12 22:49:35 CDT 2008

Geoff,

Actually the question of this still isn't clear.  I asked them, and
did some research and don't have a definitive answer for here in the
US....
but was willing to try it for the portion of the collection (a little
less than 1/2 ) to give it a shot.
BTW, In Germany, (see below posting I have found ) having to maintain
the originals does not seem to be the case.
Haven't found similar applicable case law for the US though...

Additionally, as of 2005 (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/
6277.cfm) MGM admits that ripping (during MGM vs Grokster)
that ripping as legal.   So that's not a question.  It's also not a
question that I purchased the CDs legally, and they received the fees
for that purchase.  It's also not a question that I am retaining
ownership thru the encoding process.

The legal and ethical question is, what are you allowed  to do with
the CDs after that point.  If they're stolen, or destroyed in a fire,
do you lose any rights to the ripped copies?  The original inspiration
for even looking into this was an article in Newsweek... people
in small apartments, lofts, etc, in NYC have serious space concerns.
Purchasing storage space to hold the original media isn't always
a $$ option for folks.  So, is the ethical and legal correct thing to
do is just throw them out??

What do other folks on the list do with old forms of media when
storage starts to become an issue?

Bill, if you're uncomfortable with this thread, please feel free to
kill it.

Earl