[rescue] 3 odd pieces of info... and an item if anybody interested...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Oct 11 23:56:48 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:35:33PM -0400, Earl D. Baugh Jr. wrote:
>Second, an interesting way to purge...
>A related music issue... I just sent a chunk of my CD collection to
>www.ipodmeister.com .  A very interesting way to
>get that music collection digitized and pick up an iPod to boot (and
>the big lure, free up space around the house where
>the boxes of CD's were...)  So far, I've spoken to them 4 times in the
>process (twice on phone, twice via e-mail) and everything
>looks legit.  I'll let you know when the iPod actually arrives...if
>you're interested.

I don't know where you are, or where they are, but US copyright law allows
you to convert media for replay, for example, copying a BETA tape to VHS
when your BETA deck breaks and no one has any for sale, or LP's to CDs/MP3s
if you don't have a turntable.

It probably would cover converting CDs to MP3s if you did not have a CD
player, but since they are easily available and cheap, it may not. AFAIK,
no one has been sued for doing so.

However in any case, you MUST retain the original. If you send them your
CD's and they send you an iPod with the music on it but no CDs, it would
only be legal in the US if they paid a royalty for them, or bought you new
songs from iTunes, etc.

In the case of a CD to MP3 conversion, you would have to place the CDs in
storage and only use the single copy of the MP3, not even have one on
your computer, one on your MP3 player, etc.

Personally, I don't care what you do with your CDs, but you might find they
are raided, CDs confiscated and you are out both the CD's and the music.

Geoff.