[rescue] Bridging on a Sun QFE?

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed May 28 20:00:12 CDT 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Stian Sletner wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully done bridging between
> the interfaces on a QFE.  I recently stuffed one in a HP C3600 running
> OpenBSD and after a bit of fiddling with the kernel configs (owing to
> the fact that nobody had envisioned the combination before) it came up
> fine.  However it won't let me bridge between its interfaces.  I can
> bridge between one interface on it and the onboard NIC just fine.
>
> A friend also mentioned having vague recollections of similar problems
> at some point (on another platform, presumably x86 or sparc).
>
> So, is there something about the QFE that makes bridging
> hard/impossible, or is it a bug in the OpenBSD driver?  Anyone got any
> ideas?
>
> --
> Stian Sletner

right now doing a major renumbering and on a SS-20 have a QFE and a QE
card running in bridge mode...

###

# cat bridgename.bridge0
!echo "$if"
add hme0
add hme1
add hme2
add hme3
add qe0
add qe1
add qe2
add qe3
add le0
up

###

and it's working fine.    note that the up command must be issued at the
end for the bridge to be up (not just configured).

this is of course a mess in as much as you can't tell from upstream
which ip destinations are on which interface, but you can log in, read
the arp table, and see who's on first.

don't know about your HP hardware, this is on Sparc.

-ron