[rescue] FS: Eton E5/Grundig G5 Portable Shortwave Radio

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 25 23:50:08 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 07:33:19AM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I have one. Except for the tuner. The biggest problem you will have with it
> is that the relay contacts get dirty and they receive sensitivity goes way
> down. It's a simple fix, look up the ts-430 ameteur service bullitens on
> kenwood's website.
> One symptom of it is that the problem goes away if you transmit.

Yep, this is one of the fixes included in the $200 complete fix-and-tune-up
I'm going to have done.

> If my memory still works, :-) you can download the service manual from
> mods.dk.

Already got it. 8-)

> Sure, but what does it need? Since I've owned mine, circa 1994 (got it
> used), I've added an FM board, AM and CW filter and did the ASB fix for
> the receive problem. It's still working fine. I also did the AM sensitivity
> mod, but it was a waste here.

Basiscally I'm going to send it off and have it completely checked out,
serviced, and have any needed mods/fixes/tweaks done so that I have a
"known good" rig to start out with.  The previous owner said that this one
has a minor problem of occasional distorted audio on transmit, which is a
known problem/known fix.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford