[rescue] Cisco Catalyst 5000 FDDI Software

Zach Lowry zach at zachlowry.net
Sun May 25 10:32:22 CDT 2008

On May 24, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> Zach Lowry wrote:
>> I've been hard at work, and my FDDI education project is coming
>> along quite nicely. I'm jumpstarting a DAS SS20 off of my
>> Jumpstart server on the Ethernet Segment, which was surprisingly
>> easy to do. I have one stumbling block, though. It seems the
>> Catalyst 5000 FDDI software is distributed separately from the
>> Supervisor software. Poking through Cisco's site and FTP, I can't
>> find it anywhere. Is this something I need a CCO account to get?
>> Or is it even available anymore?
>
> Which supervisor do you have, and what version of CatOS?  As i
> recall, my cat5k recognized the fddi module without having to do
> anything with it.

I have a Supervisor 3, and CatOS 6.4(22). It *recognizes* the FDDI
module, but the bridging doesn't seem to be translating the fram size
between the 4352 MTU FDDI segment and the 1500 MTU 10/100 segment.
When I mount something via NFS with the client on  FDDI and the
server on 10/100, the server never sees any packets, nor does the
SPAN port on teh 10/100 segment. No interface in the loop shows any
errors, switch side or client side, except on the client.

caterpillar.in.zachlowry.net -> cheshire.in.zachlowry.net UDP IP
fragment ID=64443 Offset=0    MF=1
caterpillar.in.zachlowry.net -> cheshire.in.zachlowry.net UDP IP
fragment ID=64443 Offset=4328 MF=0

If I set the MTU on the client to 1500, everything works fine. So, it
appears to me that the bridge on the FDDI module is dropping the
frames. That, or the C1400 concentrator is. But I can't find any
documentation on what size frames the C1400 will support.

Apparently, the latest version of the Cisco Catalyst 5000 Software is
3.2.2. [0] Upgrading to the latest *should* allow me to check the
module off the list of potential problems.

[0] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/modules/
fddi/78_3828.html