[rescue] Mac Disk bootable

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat May 24 00:47:06 CDT 2008

On May 23, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Nadine Miller wrote:

> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> On May 23, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Acheron wrote:
>>> Don't you have to bless the disk, or am I thinking of the pre-OS
>>> X days?
>>>
>>> Which machine is it specifically? Sawtooth, Quicksilver, MDD?
>>> Macs have all sorts of voodoo to perform when they misbehave...
>> DA with a SIIG SATA card.
>
> I believe you still have to bless the disk after restoring, just
> like you'd have to write a boot block on a Sun box.
>
> You should be able to get a terminal up on the box after booting an
> OS CD/DVD so you can run the bless command.

I can't boot from the DVD.  It crashes everytime.  I don't have any
other PPC macs around to test my disk on.

Is it possible to run the bless command when booted from another
harddrive?  The name of the new disk is DA G4.  I'm trying this
command in Terminal.app while booted from another disk:
sudo bless --verbose --folder "/Volumes/DA G4/System/Library/
CoreServices" --bootinfo --setBoot

It makes some slightly worrisome comments about:
Device IS NOT whole
Apple_HFS partition. No external loader
Device IS NOT whole
Apple_HFS partition. No external loader

But, it then appears to be setting openfirmware.

However, when I reboot, it fails to boot unless I reconnect the old
disk (in which case it boots from the old disk).  Holding down the
option key doesn't show me the new drive as a choice.

I forget if I mentioned, but the old drive is a retail drive, but the
new one is from a G5 I believe (although I reformatted it).