[rescue] UNIX 2038 bug - looking for a list

Zach Lowry zach at zachlowry.net
Mon May 19 16:27:43 CDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Matthew Weigel wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>>> It's my understanding and belief that both of these are using a 64-
>>> bit time_t.
>> Got somewhere you can point me to, to back this up?  I need to
>> verify for
>> sure before I put it in the article.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/include/_types.h?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> Looks like time_t is an int for OpenBSD, even on 64-bit platforms
> like amd64 (aka x86-64).

Oops, I had it mixed up. I was working on a problem on OpenBSD not too
long ago, but the *application* was expecting a 64-bit time_t. OpenBSD
is always 32-bit like Matthew says.

I tried on Solaris today. If you build a 64-bit binary with -m64 on 64-
bit Solaris, time_t will be 64 bits. Otherwise, even on a 64-bit
system, it's 32 bits. [1]

[1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5138/features-1?a=view