[rescue] Radio...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat May 17 20:35:09 CDT 2008

> Oh yea. I'm in America too! And I've already met the FCC agent :-) I miss
> our radio station :-(
>
> I've actually got a HAM radio too! I just never use it. A few friends got
> their licenses, and they don't use theirs either. As a hobby, is it not
> dying? I see the use, but it seems like there are more efficent ways of
> communications now.
>
> DSTARS seems neat but waaaay too expensive.

Ham radio is not dying as you put it unless people with licenses don't get on.  The numbers are down but there are many competing communication forms, whether they are more "efficient" or not, I can't say because I don't know what you mean by efficient.  (See the morse vs. test messaging video from Leno)  I think it is more fun.  Right now the sun spot cycle is at a minimum so DX is not as common but give it a few years if that's your thing.  These days mobile is about 99% of my operating but I'm working on a portable setup for the summer (a few camping trips are planned).  I favor the HF bands and tend to use low power.

I would never try to get away with violating the FCC rules.  Not worth it.  Screw around on the ham bands, the hams will be the first to find you and report you to the friendly candy company.  You violated the rules and lost your equipment.  Oh well.

Bob