[rescue] Useful stuff for small spaces

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 16 21:23:56 CDT 2008

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> Not just Macbooks.  I have an HP zv6000 series which is literally
>> falling apart.  Plastic is falling off the front and the touch pad has
>> the same problem.  I'm switching over to a Powerbook (Pismo) for a
>> while.  For a 10 year old machine, it's in a lot better shape than the
>> HP.  Shame.
>> Bob
>
> My work machine is a macbook. Someone mentioned the palmrest
> discoloration. The Mr Green cleanbar (some sorta odd sponge stuff) is
> rumored to re-whiten them. Wait, I've seen it work. It did work :-)

I can personally verify that it's not a rumor.  They're made of melamine
foam, which is microporous. I use them on just about everything these
days--MacBook, Powerbook, walls, doors, etc.  They also work really well
on anodized aluminum, so they clean up iPod Minis very nicely (most
looks totally crappy because people don't clean them, and anodization
holds dirt well).

Just don't put any soap or cleanser on them, they don't work as well
when you do that, in my experience.  Also, if you are using them on
small stuff, cut them into smaller pieces.  I sliced one in half
longways so it was about 1/4" thick, then cut those in half.  That gave
me 4 ~1.5" squares about 1/4" thick, perfect for iPods, mice, trackball,
and other small computer bits.  I also used this stuff on Heathkit
equipment chassis; they work pretty well on textured surfaces.

=Nadine=