[rescue] Radio...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri May 16 09:24:59 CDT 2008

>From: Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net>
>Date: 2008/05/16 Fri AM 09:36:18 EDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Dayton Hamfest

>Anyone ever run a shortwave pirate station?
>
>Seems like more fun than normal 2 meter repeater action.

I guess it could be, but there would be a lot of challenges (aside from the illegal nature of the broadcast), namely securing SW equipment (broadcast band equipment is much easier to get, AM & FM), arranging a suitable antenna, and balancing the need to maintain some sort of schedule and not being predictable enough to attract the attention of the FCC. I had thought about the idea (I've always been interested in radio since I went to summer camp Shaw-Mi-Del-Eca[0] in West Virginia (over the hill from The Greenbriar Resort, the off-site recovery site for US Gov't in case of attack[1]), and they had an AM carrier current transmitter[2]...), but my thought never went beyond the theoretical...

Lionel

[0] http://johnbrashear.tripod.com/shaw-mi.html
[1] http://www.avhub.net/congressionalhideawaygreenbriar.htm
[2] http://johnbrashear.tripod.com/wlcr.html