[rescue] Dayton Hamfest

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu May 15 23:24:16 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:55:07PM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
> Eh, learning the code isn't hard.  They dumbed it down from something
> near 30 words per minute (27? something like that) to 5 words per
> minute across the board for all ham tests.  As of 2/23/07, they
> completely dropped the requirement for morse code, which brings our
> amateur radio exams in line with the rest of the world.  There is a
> lot of drama associated with the decision to drop the code requirement
> which I won't get into, but it's gone now.

For some people it's near impossible. I spent 29 years trying. Eventually
I found a package called "Code Quick" which made it possible for me to
learn it.

At my peak, I was able to copy 35wpm.

Since then I never use it, to be honest, I hate having to spell everything
in real time.

Morse code sucks for visual thinkers.

Geoff.