[rescue] RAID on Solaris x86

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 15 13:19:04 CDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Do you really need the PCIe version?  And do you really need the
> hardware raid?  Do you really need 8 ports?

I don't need PCIe on this at all, the Big Honkin' Fast Slots on this
board (a Tyan Tiger i7320R) are PCI-X.  I don't need hardware RAID, I
just need JBOD.  I need 12 ports, but they could be divided across two
PCI-X slots or three PCI slots.

> If the answer is yes to the first 2 and you can do with 4 ports, there
> is a $160 option currently on ebay.
>
> Since the original topic related to ZFS, I suspect that something like a
> 3800X, for about $70 would be a good pick.

I looked at the 3800X and the 3800X-R, yes, but they both appear to be
external-only cards.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.