[rescue] RAID on Solaris x86

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 15 12:17:06 CDT 2008

Earl Baugh wrote:
> Let me dig here...Ah found it.  Here's the card:
> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8408e/index.html?remote=1&locale=EN
>
> I actually read the downloads and it's got a Solaris x86 (32 and 64 bit)
> driver.
> The list prices I've found for these were in the $500-$700 range per card.
> (yes, it was a very nice gift!)
> I did some checking after I got it and didn't find any of this model "cheap"
> on EBay...just checked, and there
> are some in the $500 range...

As I suspected, well outside my present budget.  Does look like a nice
card though.

[...]

> BTW, you might not need 2 of these cards... you can get an "expander" which
> according to my friend,
> lets you expand (docs say at least 32 drives, with some of their cards
> supporting up to 100+ drives...)
> It's called an "extender", and apparently you don't get any "drop off" in
> performance...
> Googling for "LSI SAS Expander" will give you at least some info...
> (as will this link :
> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/standard_product_ics/sas_expander_ics/index.html)
> You basically remove some cables from drives and connect them to this
> thing... (you end up with an external drive box of some sort...)

Yeah, so I see.  It appears it's an external expansion solution though.
  The nice thing about the 3Ware (besides not costing me anything) is
that it's got 12 internal ports to match the 12 hot-swap bays in this
rackmount case.

Well, until someone comes up with working 3Ware drivers for Solaris, it
looks like I need to come up with a different OS for the machine.
Unless of course I take out the 3Ware controller for now and just fill
the three PCI slots with supported 4-port SATA controllers.  (Since all
I need is JBOD anyway....)

Throughput will probably suffer somewhat, but I'll be able to get the
machine up and start working with it.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.