[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:12:57 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>>  Plus, when my car is under warranty, tinkering voids the warranty.
>>
>> The consumer protection act disagrees with you.
>
> The big problem these days is that you often need so much specialized
> knowledge to just "tinker with" many modern cars.  Depending on the
> brand, you may need information only available to factory-trained
> technicians, and expensive equipment available only to authorized
> service shops.

Much of that information is indeed available to the public.  I bought a
copy (on CD-ROM) of the shop manual for my car.  It had everything down
to test point voltages and proprietary OBD codes and settings.

Of course, I then had to pick up a OBD cable and software to hook my
laptop up to my car, but I can pretty much diagnose any problem,
including the electronic ones.

I am aware that some manufacturers don't make that kind of documentation
available, but many still do.

Peace...  Sridhar