[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue May 13 15:48:51 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:

> The big problem these days is that you often need so much specialized
> > knowledge to just "tinker with" many modern cars.  Depending on the brand,
> > you may need information only available to factory-trained technicians, and
> > expensive equipment available only to authorized service shops.
> >
> LOL. If you only knew the car hacking going down :-)

The cost of entry isn't too bad. Just something like an ODB-II scanner that
turns off your check-engine light is $60.

If you have a VW or Audi (or Skoda or Seat) you can invest about $200 and
get a VAG-COM setup which lets you play with all kinds of things. I know a
lot of folks here and on geeks were commenting about their Audis  at one
point.

Also, for about $100 you can score the Bentley (publisher, not car) service
manual on CD-ROM.