[rescue] x86 vs. SPARC BIOSes (was: Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100))

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 13 11:44:48 CDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 23:53 , Ian Finder wrote:

> What I'd like to find is a server with an always available embedded
> supervisor processor that provides ethernet and serial connections for
> configuration, and unlike some SPs I've seen (like in the SunFire

[ snip ]

That's what a Data General MV20000 supermini I worked on had.  It had
a small computer that ran the big one, and you could talk to it
without booting the big one.

Very useful.

It's 2008, 20 years later... surely we have the ability to do this so
cheaply it should not matter.

Normal users will never see it, so what?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com