[rescue] Help the ailing Frankenmac

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:29:17 CDT 2008

On 12 May 2008, at 16:32, Steve Hatle wrote:

> That's true- I've had it bring machines back from the dead, and I've
> had it
> do absolutely nothing.
>
> Like Bill's experience, the CUDA button along with battery pulling,
> NVRAM
> resets, PRAM resets and the dead chicken are all effective tools in
> combination to get a Mac back on it's feet :-)

I tell ya, you'll still not get a better factory reset then pulling
the power and battery and leaving it to sulk. It's worked for me on an
uncountable number of previous occasions. I wonder if pulling the
battery and pushing the CUDA switch for 10 secs actually accelerates
the process? It's hard to tell with diagnosing Mac hardware, as
there's a lot of folklore and contradicting information, 90% of which
is total Bullshit that Mac hardware techies conclude from this one
time when they did something hey can't actually remember what they did
and it worked so that's how EVERYONE ELSE should do it in future. Some
of them are almost as bad as the users... :\

On the subject of helping ailing Frankenmacs...

I need help to revive my 9600. It killed a perfectly good Radeon 7000,
then a few months later it upped and stopped working. It's been in a
total sulk, and won't boot up (power but no chime). I've tried
**everything** and concluded it may actually be the logic board that's
knackered. Shame, I really like the 9600. It's a joy to work on
(unlike it's replacement). Anyone (in the UK) got a 9600 or 8600 board
skulking around they know works? I've got all the other parts sat here
in a 8550 WGS at the moment (horrible, horrible Mac, but it works
pretty well).

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: