[rescue] x86 vs. SPARC BIOSes (was: Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100))

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Thu May 8 09:51:37 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> what about linuxbios/coreboot
> http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot

Has anyone tried this?   I've been looking at it, but it looks a bit
"young".
I've got a pile of HP DL380s that I'm setting up, and I'd hate to brick any
of them.  I've also tried http://www.openbios.org/Welcome_to_OpenBIOS
but my machine hung when trying to boot it (ISTR it could be booted by
grub, but it's been a while since I tried it).

If a vendor offered coreboot+openfirmware, I'd definitely buy their HW.
(Sun? HP?  Are you guys listening?!)

Andrew
(who's now spent all day messing around with ILO, and is getting grumpy)