[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 7 21:16:18 CDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 11:18 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:44:56PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>>> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> [...]
>>> You can get a comp-sci degree without ever having touched a
>>> computer.
>> That's because Computer Science is not a vocational qualification.
>
> That doesn't stop headhunters, hiring managers and HR departments
> from treating it as one.

They don't want a person trained to learn, they want a person trained
to not learn.

Personally, I think "Computer Science" means a combination of theory
and practice, and a  heavy focus on learning how to learn and
foundations which you eventually come back and expand on and/or move
into vocational training for specific needs.

The degree itself certainly is not and should not be vocational.
Vocational training is narrowly focused and limited, and usually means
you have to retrain to learn something else.

By contrast a Computer Science degree should teach you how to learn
almost any related technology or create your own, or know what
training you need to get there.  You are supposed to be prepared for a
life of learning, not just "getting a job".

The problem is the modern workplace just does not want people to
learn, they want to plug square people into square holes and be done
with it.