[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 7 20:58:40 CDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 16:00 , Robert Darlington wrote:

> And absolutely none of that applies to high performance computing.
> Try running object oriented code where time counts!  I guess you could
> always throw more computing power at a problem, but the problems I've
> worked on take months to solve with computers that cost half a billion
> dollars.  Going OO would increase the time to solution many times
> over.  Fortran 77 for life, pointers be damned.

One of the best performance charts I have ever seen is in "Programming
Pearls".

They show a TRS-80 and a DEC Alpha doing the same job, but the TRS-80
code is better written.

The DEC is hundreds of times faster... until the problem size
increases to a point at which the DEC would take 400 years to do what
the TRS-80 does in fifteen minutes.

Excellent example of how little raw power means if you use it wrong,
and exactly why throwing horsepower or misguided ideology at a problem
is stupid.

Programmers do *NOT* always cost more than computers.