[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue May 6 11:06:50 CDT 2008

Hah, at my old job you had to have a degree in a science as a major
qualifying factor in becoming a technical staff member.  So, to get
the best pay as a systems administrator, you needed to have a degree
in any science, be it computer science, physics, chemistry, or just
about anything else.  An MIS degree would get you nothing, even though
we managed information systems and didn't do computer science.  I
can't remember the last day as a sysadmin that I needed to
mathematically describe the fastest way to sort a filing cabinet if it
had 58 folders in it.  I personally feel a CS grad would make a great
secretary or technical writer for procedures based texts, but not a
sysadmin.

On a side note, are there any universities in the States that still
teach C?  Mine (UNM) has C++ as an elective and uses Java as the main
focus for teaching CS, but no plain ol' C.  The only other languages
they teach are object oriented PERL and VB, both as electives.  This
just goes to show that CS has very little to do with being a
programmer anymore.

-Bob