[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue May 6 09:55:09 CDT 2008

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:44:56PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> [...]
>>> You can get a comp-sci degree without ever leaving Netbeans...
>> You can get a comp-sci degree without ever having touched a computer.
>
> That's because Computer Science is not a vocational qualification.
>
> A decent CS degree will have lots of hands-on work from the gate level up,
> of course.

That.  In my CS course at Eastern Washington, we did all the theory,
some familiarization with different OSen and some coding in languages,
but we also built (well, simulated) chips from the gate level and built
prototype hardware.  (What my CS class designed and built is used today
by NASA.)

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.