[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Brock Johnson wildefire at brotay.net
Mon May 5 15:29:36 CDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I do contemplate someday replacing the firewall (currently a Netra T1)
> and the network services box ( a SS20) with lower power machines.  The
> network services could be linux I suppose, perhaps on a small arm
> board.  I could stick a Cirrus Logic ARM9 in a rack case. The CL board
> is 200mhz with 32+ megs of ram and 128+ megs of flash, for $65.  It only
> takes 0.6A of 5V power.  That would come to under $1 a day to power.
> Finding such a small board to run affordably run NetBSD (I love the PF
> firewall system) for a router would be a bit trickier.  Too bad that
> NetBSD doesn't run on the WRT54GLs.  If it did, I could move one to a
> rack case, and run long antenna leads to place one antenna on each
> floor (maybe that is a bad idea, I obviously don't know much about RF).

NetBSD runs fine on the PCEngines ALIX boards,
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm, while they're not quite as cheap as
that board you're quoting (about double the cost actually), they are
much better spec as well, 500mhz geode/256 megs of ram for the bigger
configuration. Use about 0.5a at 12v (to quote the manufacturers usage
rating, I haven't gotten the ammeter out and measured mine yet), so the
power is quite similar. I've got an 3c1 at the house I've been playing
around with as a wireless bridge and I'm about to get another model (the
2c3) to replace my old Soekris 4501.

 -Brock