[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon May 5 15:15:04 CDT 2008

> That's just a video->serial conversion.
> I mean a BIOS designed to talk to serial devices, not a video converter.

The console redirection is actually a function where it sees the
characters being written to the video BIOS and pushes them out of a serial
port.

It is not a screen scrape.

Anything that writes directly to the video card to speed up display will
bypass PC serial consoles. 3ware RAID card setup screens do this. Linux
kernel does as well, but you can obviously set it to the same serial port
and it will redirect.

I don't mind the PC stuff really. I mean, once a server is setup and
deployed you don't really have to deal with it that much. Even on Sun and
SGI boxes you don't really mess with the boot prom stuff once it's up and
running.

IPMI 2.0 can do video console redirection over ethernet for around $100 a
box (on those that support it). Compaq has their own stuff with ILOM. And
you can do remote power shutdowns via command line with IPMI. Both
controlled and pysical power off. And you can bring them back on via IPMI
as well. It's like LOM via ethernet.

--
05 REM Signature
10 PRINT " Ethan O'Toole "