[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon May 5 14:33:17 CDT 2008

Dang, Josh, five years? I guess it's too late to send a set of
candlesticks...

   A funny thng about "home servers" is that we want server-grade gear
but as quiet as a home office PC -- or at least my wife does, :7)

   There's a few V100s or Ultra 10s around here, but I'm reluctant to
even scrounge one of those b/c she would ask why I was running something
24/7...And she's be right. Perhaps I will try an Ultra 10 and just boot
it up manually when I want data off it, and pray that it never died in
its sleep. :7) Or *forehead slap* maybe this PC would be fine with a BSD
on it if I only ran it when I needed it -- and in that case, I may even
find a use for the old Happauge TV card!

   I so seldom read posts on this list about turning off machines when
idle (vice that "The Terror of Machine Room Silence" thread I enjoy so
much last week) that I never think of it myself.

   Josh, if you're avoiding Linux and appliances, are you thinking ZFS
on Open Solaris/reeBSD?

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt