[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 4 16:16:59 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 05:07:38PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sorry, what I mean to say is that almost none were trained on it in
> college in the last couple of decades.

That's for sure.

> For that matter, a good number of graduates today have never even used
> real hardware.
>
> You can get a comp-sci degree without ever leaving Netbeans...

Why not? :-)

> That's because they are all basically the same.
>
> Word is 8-bit multiple, 2's complement, and sub-word register and
> memory addressing.
>
> Most students never see anything else and most systems sold today are
> like that.

Yes, they all came from the same place. Since the IBM PC came out everyone
uses it as their learning platform.

> >>That's just pure stupidity.
> >
> >No, it's good business. :-) Think of it as pay-per-view software.
>
> No, it's pure stupidity.

That was the point of the smiley :-) It's good in suit-think.

> But I don't need that to access *MY* data, and nothing should ever
> require that.

What has your data got to do with it? There's no cell in my business plan's
spreadsheet labeled "YOUR DATA". :-)

(Calm down, I'm just kidding).

It's after midnight, I'm going to bed, 'night all.

Geoff.