[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 4 15:47:39 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 04:22:54PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I would imagine that the leading platforms are probably actually ARM,
> PPC, x86, then MIPS.

I don't know if there are any hard figures on that. There is still work
on Z8, Z80, anf 6800 derivatives in the embedded market. Plus that whole
line of TI DSP chips that someone figured out could be used as a cheap
low power CPU.

However since the low power x86 market has taken off, it's only a matter
of time IMHO that the other chips fade away. Eventualy it will just be too
expensive to maintain a design, implementation and programing staff for
more than one architechture.

I know an ARM chip can do on 2 AA batteries what a low power X86 requires
a lion battery with about 1/4 of the time, but that won't last forever.
Every year the ARM chips get faster and more power hungry, the batteries
get better and the X86's become more frugal.

Geoff.