[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 4 02:07:32 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 10:52:32PM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
> The HP servers have their Lights Out Management (or whatever HP calls
> it).  You can log in, reboot the machine, and watch the BIOS check and
> all.  It's really handy when you need to reboot a box from home.

iLO (or iLO Advanced, etc).  Sun's LOM for their Intel-based boxes is very
similar.  Remote console, even remote media (CDROM/floppy).

I've done a complete "bare metal" Solaris 10 install on a HP box using
nothing more than iLO and a DSL connection, with the physical install media
being 3-4 miles from where the physical system was located.  It was slow,
of course, but it *worked*.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford