[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 3 20:01:52 CDT 2008

On May 3, 2008, at 13:15 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Intel Little Valley D201GLY2A [0] might be a good choice - it runs
> about $70, takes up to 2 Gig of RAM, has dual SATA connectors, and a
> gigabit Ethernet card can be added to the PCI slot. Depending on
> use, a multi-port Ethernet card could be added instead...

The PCI slot is not fast enough for gigE.  I found that out the hard
way last year.

I looked at this board already and almost got one.

Still thinking about it, but really want gigE and/or a bus fast enough
to support it.

One of the Linux based router boards is also very nice, but it too has
only 100baseT networking.

However, one company has said they will make one with gigabit on PCIe
in a SFF board, so maybe I should just wait.

> 2x6x6 might be tough - esp. without a wall-wart, but small is doable
> - the SATA connectors on the Intel MB can mate to SATA laptop
> drives, and with suitable power adapters, you would be in business.
> The Intel board also does 64-bit OS, though the graphics on-board
> can be a challenge for Solaris/Linux (you need to choose VESA mode,
> as the default drivers are not good over 800x600).

I don't care about graphics, it will never be doing anything but a
text console, and will move to serial as soon as the OS is installed.

The most likely OS would be NetBSD.

The wall-wart I can live with, I just really, really hate them, and
I've not been too impressed with their long-term reliability so far.

My networking shelf already has tons of them and I HATE HATE HATE HATE
them.