[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 2 23:55:53 CDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 19:58 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 07:57:53PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Of course, you know what happens when you get rid of "all but one
>> server"...
>
> Yeah, that one server decides to follow the rest in leaving you.

Well, I have a plan for that.

When I say "one server", I mean one is powered on... :)

But yeah, I already have thought of that.

For one thing, right now the new machine is doing *EVERYTHING*,
including DNS and proxy, so it makes it hard to play with it a lot.

The "consolidation" and cleanup is part of a longer process really,
and "one server" is temporary until I can make some changes.

The big thing was getting rid of 5 space heaters that were just
getting too old to justify.

The next project is to move DNS and proxy off of the Solaris box so
that when I shut it down I don't lose those services for the other
machines.

Right now I can't play much with the new server because it's doing
double-duty.

The project is to build a tiny dedicated server, and by tiny I mean
I'd like it to be as small as no bigger than a small switch... 2
inches high, 6x6 or something.

Notebook drive and/or flash storage.

Ideally it would not have a wal-wart either, and I really want it to
have gigabit ethernet if possible.